Friday, May 25, 2007

Just some follow up

Just wanted to touch a lil bit on the win sunday night. I think overall I played very well, Maybe the best all around tournament I have ever played. I definitely ran well, which you have to do to win one of these, but running hot without playing solid will get you nowhere. The only point in the tournament where I felt outclassed was 3 handed and heads up. As heads up started I was out chipped about 430k to 240k and had almost convinced myself that second place wasn't that bad and still worth over $2000. Maybe fifteen hands into heads up I took the lead unfortunately I can't remember the hand. Well as is typical for me once I get a lead heads up I make bad calls and double my opponent up. He eventually had me to around 150k and fighting for my life. Not to sound too dramatic but I remember actually thinking "well its either time to give up and start shoving or actually make one last stand to come back and win this thing". I didn't catch any miracle hands to make my comeback, instead I just slowly chipped back up to about even then the hand came up which won me the tournament. My hand was xd4d, the flop came out two diamonds and paired my 4. We eventually both got all our chips in and he was on a gut straight draw. I didn't even realize when the 5d came on the turn that he was dead and I had that moment of terror when the river 8 made his straight but the frown quickly turned upside down and he was left with like 5k chips and a few hands later it was over. I used a new style of small ball in this tournament and I think it helped alot. Small ball poker makes it easier to get paid when you have a huge hand and easier to get away from your not so great hands.

No comments: